Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, October 24, 2014

The Ground of Disagreement

I ran across a website this afternoon that presented itself as Christian.  There were books and shirts one could buy.  I do not remember how I got there.  The post that drew my attention was on a controversial topic.  As I typically do on those types of sites I skimmed the posts and comments.
The Ground of Disagreement
The issues the blogger addressed is one that is dividing churches and denominations.  A lot of ink has been spilled and is being spilled discussing this issue from many different angles.  What struck me about this post, neither in the post nor the comments, did any one mention a modicum of scripture.  To be fair there was an unreferenced paraphrase of Galatians 3:18 but that was it.

None of the comments referenced any passage of Scripture.

That begs any number of questions but here is the main one, if I claim to be a follower of Christ, and do not reference the Bible as my authority, from where does my authority arise?  I am especially interested in the answer to this question if the position one is taking is counter to what a casual reader would say the Bible says about an issue.

It is OK to disagree.  It has happened for centuries.  It is not OK to disagree on the basis of one’s own idea when it comes to determining what God wants us to do as a people.  Jeremiah 23 is really clear on that point.

If we are to disagree, the ground of that disagreement better be the Scripture.  If one is making their case based on logic disassociated from the Bible, or from some form of adaptation of cultural trajectory, that one is claiming authority other than what God has revealed.

That is not a place one should be.  Even a cursory reading of Jeremiah yields clear data on God’s view of following that path.

Isaiah 8:20 speaks to this as well.  The author of that blog and those who commented on it had no dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment