Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Out Loud

I have said before that I am in a study on Hebrews on Tuesday morning.  For the past few weeks we have been saying on Hebrews 8 – 10.  A couple of days ago I shared an observation on Hebrews 10:19 – 25.
There is a way to observe more when you think you may be done...  Thoughts at DTTB.
As part of my application from my ongoing study of Jeremiah, I have begun asking those with whom I meet what the Lord is teaching them from the Word.  At lunch I was meeting with a guy and asked him that question.  It is only fair that I reciprocate with what I have been learning.

So after he shared, I opened my Bible to Hebrews 10:19 – 25.  As I was sharing the observations with him something happened.  I began to see connections and patterns that I had previously overlooked.

The three effects are sub-divided into two sections.  The first two, draw near and hold fast, are focused on us as believers.  We are to get close to God and trust Him completely, essentially, using the language of the earlier part of Hebrews, rest in His grace, unwavering.

With that as the foundation we are to then consider how to stimulate one another.  It is only from the place near God, where we are trusting in Him without wavering, that we are able to consider how to stimulate others.

In reality if we try to engage from any other foundation, well, like Christ said in John 15:5 we will accomplish nothing.  If we are not near God and trusting Him without wavering, what could we possibly add to someone’s life that would stimulate them to love and good deeds?  To think otherwise suggests an extraordinary level of arrogance.

It was by processing this section with my friend out loud that I saw this.  That is really good way to push yourself in your study.  Read the book out loud or share with someone what you are learning out loud.  The difficulty of explaining what you are seeing helps crystalize your observations and thinking.

Try it, you’ll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment