Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, March 22, 2014

It Simply Seems Impossible

The Christian life that is.  I really struggle with it.  This morning the struggle started in Psalm 63:1 then:
  • Psalm 42:2
  • Psalm 84:2
  • Psalm 143:6
  • Matthew 5:6
  • Colossians 1:28 – 29
  • Colossians 4:12
The attitude of the heart that these passages describe is one of desperate longing.  Not just thankfulness for a “Get out of Hell Free” card, but an all-consuming hunger for intimacy with God.  Not an engaging addition to my life but the driving center point of my existence.
The Christian Life is about more than getting out of hell.  Thoughts at DTTB.

Further the Colossians passages have the some of the same words repeated, “Striving” being one.  This word is the Greek word from which we get our English word “agonize.”  Oxford defines agonize as, “to make desperate or convulsive efforts.”  That seems to capture well what these passages are conveying.

The message is clear, I am to make desperate and convulsive efforts to first know God, and then transfer that desperate and convulsive effort into helping others know Him.  The kicker for me is that Paul in Colossians 1:29 says that he is making that effort “according to His (Christ’s) power…”  If I am honest, I really do not know how to do that.

When I strive I get sleepy.  I am desperate to know how to better do this in His strength.  I am weary of trying to do it on my own.

I am finding it is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment