Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Weight of Glory

Yesterday I suggested that there were several nuggets to be mined from Psalm 16.  The one today is a challenge to me.  Verse 3 is it.  Here David tells us that the saints on earth, those chosen and redeemed by God are majestic and the delight of the one who chose them.
How do you respond to Christians who rub you the wrong way?  Thoughts at DTTB.
In his book, The Weight of Glory, C. S. Lewis puts it this way:
It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal.
Think of that.  This describes, accurately according to David, the people with whom we interact daily.

I personally do not do all that good a job treating people like this is true.  My observation is that as believers, generally all of us do not really behave as if we believe this is true.  I was recently visiting a church where I found myself being critical of some of what I saw there.  Psalm 16:3 and this quote from Lewis came to mind.  I struggled to realign what I was seeing with the reality of the Scripture.  I obviously do not have a handle on this.  I continually struggle not only with my attitude toward others but also their treatment of others in the Body.

I wonder if all of us would view each other the way David described us in Psalm 16:3 and the way Lewis built on David’s thought if we could more closely achieve the unity that Christ and Paul continually demand of us?

I know that I am going to ask God to help me see the majesty in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment