Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Presumptuous

Psalm 19:13 stopped me short this morning.  I wondered – it is interesting that, as many times as I have read this Psalm I haven’t wondered before – what exactly presumptuous sin might be.  I looked up the word, it is variously translated in the old testament:
  • Arrogance
  • Pride
  • Presumption
What does presumption look like?  Thoughts at DTTB.
So the question becomes when am I arrogant and in what domains?  Where does pride emerge in my life?  When do I presume – I needed more help so I looked up the word in a dictionary…

“Overstepping due bounds (as of propriety or courtesy); taking liberties.”

When have I pushed beyond the place the relationship will bear?  When have I taken liberties with a person that I have not earned?

As I think through my behavior I can identify far too many instances when I have done all of these things.

Lord keep back thy servant from presumptive sins!

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful definitions, and piercingly applicable. I think of Peter in Matthew 16, rebuking the Lord (!) with, "Not so, Lord; this shall never happen to you!" He had this attributed to being a mouthpiece for the devil!

    It's easy to see how this was WAY out of bounds. But how many times have I done something similar, to a brother (or sister) or worse, as Peter to the Lord? I shall never know all, but may the frequency diminish!

    ReplyDelete