Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Handled Consistently

You may have struggled with how God deals with people who have challenges.  How does a child who is taken before they can talk rationally receive Christ?  How does God engage with those who are challenged mentally?  I have been in many conversations about this over the past 40 years, you probably have as well.  It is a difficult and emotional line of inquiry.  In one of the discussions one of my mentors suggested that God deals with each individual in a manner consistent with their nature.  I am not completely comfortable with that position but it came to mind this afternoon.  Let’s consider it and some of the implications were that true.
If it is true that God deals with us according to our nature, we probably ought to work on that...
You may know an individual who is unteachable, I do.  There is little this type of person does not “know.”  Regardless of education or experience one cannot hope to share anything with this type of person, they are not interested in learning rather sharing their knowledge.  There is another type who is so focused on their own goals, stuff, ministry, job, etc that they have no time or use for those who are not aligned with them.

There are Biblical examples of these types of people.  In these two categories, Saul of Tarsus leaps to mind.  Saul was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that arresting and executing disciples of Christ was a godly and glorious pursuit.  He was good at it.  He was completely focused on his goal.  So much so that Stephen’s incisive explanation of the Gospel made no dent or difference in Saul’s thinking or goals.  So when he was proceeding down to Damascus to pursue his goals, the Lord slapped him up side of the head with the proverbial 2x4.  It took that, plus a few days of physical blindness, to open his spiritual eyes.  Christ knew that it would take that type of intervention to get Saul’s attention.

There are other examples to which we could point.  As I said I am not certain of the global nature of the observation, but it makes me think.  It makes me think that I want to be more open to the direction of the Lord than Saul was.  I would like to avoid that level of pain if possible.  If it is true that God deals with me according to my nature, I would like to have a nature that learns quickly; one that is responsive to His prompting and leading.

What nature are you presenting to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment