Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Technical Difficulties

This morning a group of us launched into 2 Corinthians 1.  The group is a rich mix of opinion and interaction.  I facilitate the group and had prepared a powerpoint set of slides with the text of the chapter for us to work through together.
You do not need a flashy presentation to be effective.  You just need the Word.
I do most, probably 98% of my study on my laptop.  It is past due for replacement and I have kept it going for the past year with an external drive to take the pressure off of the internal drive.  I beat it hard every day because I will typically have 5 – 10 programs running simultaneously, the word processor, the program used to chart sections of scripture, a couple of Bible programs, background music – Mozart, and the browser with at least five tabs open.  Point is I work it hard.

So this morning it would not start at the church.  I got a screen that I had never seen before telling me the computer would not start and it was trying to repair itself…  So this is going on as I am gathering prayer requests.  While writing down the requests in the back of my mind I am coming up with alternatives to work through the text together…

The time this morning was not as effective as I hoped it would have been.  The reason, partially, I was distracted by the challenges with the computer.  I use technology in all of my presentations, DVDs, MP3s, projectors.  I have to get back to the place that if things do not work, and they don’t all of the time, I have to be able to communicate without those aids.  As a culture we have become dependent to an extreme on being entertained as we learn.  I have fallen into that trap because it is effective.  But in doing so I have to remember that God’s Word is what is living and active, not the presentation.  I have to trust in His desire to engage in people’s lives not my presentation.

All this to say you do not need a flowery all put together schtik to engage your kids, just read ‘em the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment