Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, August 17, 2012

Errata

NOTE: Have you ever had a day when everything you touched fell apart or took longer than it should?  Yesterday was like that.  It started early in the morning.  I knocked stuff over, spilled stuff, my computer ran slower than dirt, nothing worked… part of the evidence is that I quoted two verses incorrectly in the first paragraph of yesterday’s post.  It was supposed to be Psalm 49:12 and Job 27:8 rather than Psalm 49:13 and Job 27:28 there isn’t a Job 27:28… sigh.  I changed the post, hopefully now it makes more sense.
We all make errors, well at least I do, our character is revealed by how we handle them.
I was going to write about something else but telling you about my mistake yesterday brought something else to mind.  We all make errors, mistakes, goofs – call them what you will.  When I wrote Your Walk, their walk in 2010, I cannot tell you how many times I read and re-read the text.  The manuscript went through several edits and revisions with multiple people reading the text.  Still there were typos.  One verse was mis-labeled.  There was an error on the back cover.  That is just the two I know about.

This morning Seth Godin mentioned an error that a company made in his blog.  We are all human.  We all make mistakes.  When we have groups of people, the mistakes tend to be bigger – I guess the errors are multiplied by our tendency to habitually goof.  There is a law in there somewhere.

How we handle the errors makes the difference.  It seems to me that there are two basic approaches.  Admit the error and attempt to fix it.  Deny the error, cover it up or fight to make it look like it is not an error.  I have done both.  There was a time in my life where the second approach was my predominant MO.  By God’s grace, that has changed, probably not completely, but it is much less my choice these days.

A couple of days ago we contrasted Saul and David.  Saul chose the second approach to problems; David the first.  When we cover up our errors, they destroy us, partially because it takes so much effort to live a lie.  Each of us must choose.  We will blow it.  I recommend David’s approach.  Saul’s is too costly.

No comments:

Post a Comment