Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Honor Dad 2

Yesterday we looked at the command in Exodus 20:12 and other places that we are to "honor your father and mother." We noted that God applies this to Himself, specifically in Malachi 1:6. Today I would like to draw your attention to the Matthew 15:1 - 9 passage. Jesus is dealing with the Pharisees and scribes once again. He calls them out for not honoring their parents. They were skirting the command by means of a "loophole" that they had created. They came up with a religious way to get around the command. Look at what he says about what they have done, “Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?" It would probably be a rather convicting exercise to think through all of the ways that we overlay tradition over the commandment of God today.

 Part of honoring Him is to keep His commandments. All of them. I am not suggesting here that I have this figured out or that I am obeying perfectly. No. But as we have mentioned before our kids are paying attention. When I come up with reasons to break God's law, they notice and will emulate my choices.

 What I do to honor Him in this way matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment